This is the standard for desktop and workstation computers. If your computer was built in the 2010's or earlier and your processor can handle the 64 bit processors, this is the version you will need. Otherwise, consider using the 32-bit version.
The current version (5.1.0) comes with the 4.15.0-88 kernel and will not push any new kernel updates. In the case you want a more recent kernel, you should be using the HWE version which uses the 5.4.x kernel.
It features a minimalist base install allowing the user to add exactly the software they want without any bloatware. The 5.1.0 installation comes with the following 7 applications: ePDFView (PDF Viewer), Epiphany (Web Browser), ePhoto (Image Viewer), Leafpad (Text Editor), PCManFM (File Manager), Synaptic (Package Manager), and Terminology (Terminal Emulator)
AppPack is built on top of Standard and comes with the 4.15.0-88 kernel.
This version is the ultimate edition. It comes with additional themes and applications. If you are looking for a quick install medium, you should use this version as it will install the most common applications and you will be ready to start your day more quickly.
- Accessories: Featherpad, Geany, Vim (Text editors), Qalculate (Calculator), PCManFM (File Manager)
- Games: Steam (Video Game Store/Library)
- Graphics: Blender, GIMP, and ePhoto (Image Viewer)
- Internet: Firefox (Web Browser), FileZilla, (FTP Client), Pidgin and HexChat (IRC/Chat clients)
- Sound & Video: Audacious (audio player), VLC (media player), and OpenShot (video editor)
- Office: Libre Office, and Evince (Document Viewer)
- System Tools: Printer and Samba Support, Timeshift (System Backup), Update Manager, Synaptic (Package Manager), Terminology (Terminal Emulator)
- and much more ...